La Jolla Cove Swim Club’s 2017-18 Member's Winter Swim Program
- Be a member in "active" status (i.e., annual dues paid)
- Email your name and TOTAL Miles each week to "Mr. Chill" at: firstname.lastname@example.org
You can sign up any time during the program, though we encourage you do so as early as possible.
Free (Except for a token charge of $5 for the party)
Club goal for 2019
TBA (Past goals have been Hawaii, Tahiti, Samoa, Fiji, Tonga, Bora Bora, and Bikini Atoll.)
This is a Swim Club event with club members operating as one big team to reach a common goal.
If registered Big Chill participants wish to form small groups and challenge other groups, this may be done on an informal basis. All names and individual miles must be reported to "Mr. Chill" at: email@example.com.
Group mileages can be displayed in the club box if provided to "Mr. Chill."
Reach personal totals of 25, 50, 75, 100 miles (even 400 or more!)
This isn’t a serious competition. Have fun, and above all, swim safely!
We operate on the honor system. Miles should be reported by each swimmer as a running TOTAL. There are maps and charts in the club display box at the Cove (or click HERE) that show the mileage between various buoys and other coastal locations in La Jolla Bay. When in doubt, just estimate as well as you can or send a question to the email address below.
Send your TOTAL Miles each week to "Mr. Chill" at: firstname.lastname@example.org
Provide your TOTAL miles in the subject line, as “Bob Smith has 67 miles total”, each time you report. Send in your miles by Wednesday afternoon each week so we can process the data and print updated progress charts for the weekend.
Please report weekly (or as often as possible) so we can keep accurate track of our accumulated mileage.
No more than 100 miles can be submitted at one time, unless you swam all of the miles in that month. Requests for exceptions may be submitted to the administrator (“Mr. Chill”).
- Accumulate miles swum from Nov. 15, 2018 through April 15, 2019.
- Miles swum using a wetsuit, fins, mask and snorkel are acceptable.
- Miles swum outside of San Diego are acceptable as long as they are in a salt water ocean or sea for a period of not more than 2 weeks, regardless of the water temperature. This is to accommodate vacations in Mexico, Hawaii, Florida, etc. We’re swimming to warmer water anyway!
- Miles swum in any ocean or sea and where the water temperature is 62 degrees or less are acceptable at any time. So miles in Oceanside, Coronado, LA, SF and other CA beaches are always acceptable.
- Pool miles are not acceptable, even if the pool is salt water and cold.
Double miles may be claimed on our monthly Club event days (which are not necessarily the actual holiday), or any other days Mr. Chill deems 'chilly' enough, and under the conditions shown below. Two (maximum) double conditions per day may be applied, so if your birthday swim is on Valentine’s Day, claim 4X miles!
NEW RULE: The limit of double miles for one swim is 5. So if you swim 10 miles on your birthday, which is also on St. Patrick’s Day (event day), you can’t claim 30 miles, you can only claim 15!
- Opening Day
- Turkey Splash Swim
- Christmas Eve in Coronado (December 24). Cove miles are double also, but try to come to Coronado!
- New Year’s Day Polar Bear swim (January 1), at La Jolla Shores or another location.
- Super "Bore" Sunday
- Valentine’s Swim. Swim a mile for your sweetie
- St. Patrick’s Day Event. “Swim with a Spuddo in your Speedo!”
- April Fools’ (Easter/Tax Relief) Day Event.
- Swimmer’s “Pink Dolphin” birthday swim.
Miles must be swum in one’s “Birthday Suit” (only) to qualify, and the swim must be witnessed by at least one other swimmer. (Observers do not get double miles!)
Swimmers whose birthday does not fall within the program dates may declare a “comp” birthday, which must be on the same day of the month as their birthday and the month should be 6 months ahead of the birthday. For example, an August 6 “comp” birthday would be February 6.
Note: the club does not encourage illegal acts.
- “Super Chill Bonus”: If the ocean water temperature is below 55 degrees, those swimming without wetsuits may claim a 25% bonus on all miles swum. This may be used on trips to other locations.
- “Mega Chill Bonus”: If the ocean water temperature is below 50 degrees, those swimming without wetsuits may claim a 50% bonus on all miles swum. This may be used on trips to other locations.
- Other Double days as declared by the program director, “Mr. Chill”
- PERSONAL SATISFACTION, GOOD EXERCISE, BRAGGING RIGHTS, THE THRILL OF SURVIVAL.
- EXPERIENCE HYPOTHERMIA. SHIVERING IS A GOOD EXERCISE THAT INVOLVES ALL MAJOR MUSCLE GROUPS.
- Document your insanity for a future disability claim
- PARTY TO CELEBRATE THE END OF THE PROGRAM, WITH CATERED FOOD, BEER AND FUN.
- Patches will be awarded to those who swim 50 or 100 miles, and maybe others too.
- Awards for the top mileage man and woman.
Mileage chart and map will be posted in the display box at the cove and on the club website.